Document Type : ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
1 Department of Agricultural Extension and Education, Faculty of Agriculture, Bu-Ali Sina University, Hamedan, Iran
2 Department of Industrial Design, College of Fine Arts, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
3 Department of Agricultural Extension and Education, College of Agriculture, Tarbiat Modares University (TMU), Tehran, Iran
Environmental impacts assessment may be some measures to offset the impact to an acceptable level or explore new solutions. The research was conducted with the aim of assessing the socio-economic, cultural, physical and ecological impacts of Kavar irrigation and drainage network in Fars Province (Iran). In this study, Environmental impacts assessment was undertaken by ICOLD matrix. The ICOLD matrix is one of the flexible methods that converted qualitative data into quantitative data. In this method, the effect of the project activities on the environmental components were assessed in two stages; project construction and operation based on physical, ecological, socio-economic and cultural aspects. The findings indicated that positive effects will be generally exerted on the region environment by establishing and operating irrigation and drainage network in Kavar plain. In other words, substantial positive impacts will be seen in the region consequently; such as improving the average level of aquifer, enhancement of agricultural wells, and agriculture development in the region. However, in order to alleviate the negative impacts of the projects processes, it is suggested that presented environmental training to farmers, collaborating and further communicating with other relevant organizations and institutions.
- Positive effects will be generally exerted on the region environment by establishing and operating irrigation and drainage network in Kavar plain.
- Socio-economic components have been minimum negative effects and ecological environment received the most negative effects from project.
- The implementation of Kavar irrigation and drainage network is permitted with considering of standards.
- Environmental impact assessment (EIA)
- Irrigation and drainage network
- Rural Development
- Sustainable development
Send comment about this article